HomeIll HealthDeputyships

The first step is to establish whether your Aunt has made an Enduring or Lasting Power of Attorney. An Enduring or Lasting Power of Attorney will appoint attorneys who will be able to deal with your Aunt’s financial affairs. (It is no longer possible to make a new Enduring Power of Attorney but if your Aunt has one then this would still be valid). If your Aunt has not made an Enduring or Lasting Power of Attorney then it needs to be established if she has mental capacity to make one now. If there is any doubt then a medical practitioner will be asked for their opinion. If your Aunt does not have capacity then you will need to apply to the Court of Protection to be appointed the Property and Affairs Deputy for your Aunt.

A Deputy is a person appointed by the Court of Protection to manage the property and financial affairs or the personal welfare of another person who is unable to manage their own affairs due to mental incapacity.

The Deputy should be a suitable person to take on the responsibility. Usually the Deputy will be a family member or close friend. The Deputy can be a professional person such as a Solicitor or Accountant.

A Deputy will be appointed if the Court decides that a person lacks mental capacity and has financial assets, which need to be administered, or requires a Personal Welfare Deputy to make decisions for him or her of a welfare nature.

The duties of the Deputy are set out in the Mental Capacity Act 2005 and this Act lays down the principles, which a Deputy must follow. The Court order sets out the responsibilities and powers of the Deputy.

A Property and Affairs Deputy looks after someone’s finances, which will include managing bank accounts, paying bills, claiming benefits and even selling property. Some decisions will require the Court’s approval. The Deputy must prepare a report for the Court each year setting out decisions made by the Deputy and showing the financial transactions throughout the year. A Personal Welfare Deputy will make decisions relating to someone’s welfare such as relating to medical treatment decisions or long-term care.

We can help in advising further on these matters and with preparing applications to the Court of Protection. We can also help deputies in managing a person’s financial affairs and preparing the Deputyship report.

News & Events

Ridley & Hall shortlisted for leading legal awards on a national stage and here in Yorkshire

Ridley & Hall Shortlisted for Three Prestigious Awards  The firm has been shortlisted for the prestigious Law Society Excellence Awards 2016 in the category of Excellence [more]

Struggling Pensioners Not Getting Their Benefits

One in four people older than 65 are struggling to cope financially, yet up to £5.5bn in state financial help is going unclaimed [more]

Married or Living Together for the Over 65s?

Recent figures released by the Office for National Statistics show that the number of unmarried over-65s living together has increased from 177,000 to [more]

ITV News Interviews Nigel Priestley about Carers’ Rights

On Carers’ Rights Day (29th November) Nigel Priestley was interviewed by ITV Calendar News about the rights of family & friend carers and [more]

Damning Report on Family and Friends Care from Local Government Ombudsman welcomed.

The Local Government Ombudsman has launched a damning report on local authorities failure to support family and friends Carers. A damning report on Family [more]

Legal Champion of the Year Award

We are delighted to announce that Nigel Priestley, Senior Partner at Ridley & Hall Solicitors has won Legal Champion of the Year at [more]

Request a call back

Send us your contact details and we’ll call you!

Request a call back


    Sorry, no Tweets were found.

Our Social Networks